Sunday, September 13, 2015

What a ride!!!

The last few months have been, what's a good word?  Hectic, tumultuous, amazing!

First, we began the summer with a long car ride from Brooksville to New York, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.  Yudith was invited to the Future Physicians of America Congress in Lowell, MA.  So we fund raised like crazy and got her there through the efforts of some very generous and amazing friends!
Aly didn't look like she was into it, but I promise you she was.... maybe!


Having spent several years of my youth in Ft. Bragg, we decided the mandatory bathroom break should happen here!




Since we were already traveling, and it's our last summer with a full house before kiddos start going college bound, we decided to make a family vacation out of it!  Hence New York and D.C.  We took two days to visit family and walk all through Manhattan.  The girls were so giddy!  I thought for sure Yudith was going to go ahead and sign a lease on a flat.... She did decide that John J was now in the running for her college choices.













For me, the best part was seeing my grandmother's sister and her husband!  I've missed them so much!  It had been at least eleven years since I last saw them.  Crazy how the time flies.  We were going to go out that day as well, but each of us was more than content to stay in with the two of them and enjoy them.  We got good old fashioned cooking with a healthy dose of verbal recounting of family history!  Just the way Grandma used to do it!  I think that was the second time I cried through the vacation (the first being at the 9/11 Memorial).

Quite possibly the best piece of 'art' ever.... just saying!  

Then we headed to Lowell, for her Yudith's Congress.  She was STOKED!  She came back to the room every evening rearing to go!  She witnessed a surgery using robotics, got to speak with the top doctors in the nation in different specializations.  She was in all her glory.  And the journals she filled with notes and steps to attain her plans, priceless.  It was worth every minute of the ride and fundraising to get her there.
 And here she goes, for day two of the Congress, being a clown!  Good to know the little girl is still in there!!


Although, the best part of the trip for the rest of us was spending time with our oldest son and second daughter and their families.  Another time that really reminded us how fast time goes, seeing how much the kids have grown.  They are GORGEOUS!  And so grown... :(  Holy cow, and so energetic!! LOL!
                    Exploring the little town of Lowell, MA!  It's gorgeous!  I loved the antique shops!


Off we went to Washington, D.C.  We drove all night and arrived mid morning.  We had a delicious breakfast our friends had ready for us, and off we went to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum!  Again, the girls were giddy.  I don't know how I managed it, but I birthed nerds, and I love it!  Every single plane, every nut, bolt, engine they examined and photographed.  And then, the highlight of the day.... yes, we got to see the Spaceship Discovery!  I hope you're oohing awing and applauding because I totally am right now!  Oh, wait, that's how I managed to birth nerds..... hee hee!!




The next day we walked all of the Capital Mall.... all 10 miles of it.  Oh man, Becky was worn out and whinny and so over us.... then we went to Arlington Cemetery... she was ready to leave us when she saw we had to walk some more.  But once she saw the Tomb of the Unmarked Soldier, she was enthralled.  We arrived there just in time for the Changing of the Guard.  The rest of the day she was marching and asking us all to keep silence.










Well.  That was Phase 1 of our Summer!  Whew!  I'm exhausted, are you?

We came home, jumped into work the next day, and two days later had a house full of family to celebrate the Fourth of July.  That's how we roll!  Then the girls took off for two days in Orlando and a week in Miami with Grandma and Grandpa.

We decided that it was too quiet in the house, so we tore up the living room, took out the carpet, installed tiles and painted the living room, kitchen, dinette area, two hallways, and the girls' bathroom.  Let me tell you, the most fun part of that was shopping for the stuff.... but my hubby did an awesome job of getting it all done before the girls came home.  He worked the late shift that week, so he worked on it all from about 9 pm to close to midnight.  Every single day.
                                                             Our Foreman, Grizzly!!

We settled into some routine daily activities.  And then the bad news.  There always has to be some of that mixed in.  But bear with me, I promise it has a happy ending!  My dad got sick.  My sister took him to the hospital Friday night, and by Wednesday he was not improving.  She sent me a message that freaked me out more than a little bit.  I took off with the girls immediately that same day.   Thank God my boss is a pretty cool guy and there was no hesitation in whether I should go or stay.

So, I'll spare everyone the gory details on that, and to protect his privacy, I'll just say that I thought my dad was going to be going home, but Praise Jesus!  He was finally treated for the correct ailment and his recovery began in earnest.  God is so, so good!  I got a day to spend with my nieces, and off we went back en route to our little home.

That Monday, our adventure continued!  Yes, there's more!!!

For the first time in 7 years, I did not have a homeschool child to teach on the first day of school!  Becky was accepted into an amazing private school on a scholarship and she spends her day working on physical, occupational, and speech therapies while doing her school work!  Again, can you say it with me?  God is so, so good!!  I didn't think I was ready for this step, and the first week was rough, for me not her!  However, I couldn't be happier with her progress, her excitement, and her teachers!








Aly is in her first year of high school, Yudith is in her senior year.  I am in my senior year of college.

We had Yudith's senior year photo shoot.... yes, I cried.   We've begun a series of photo shoots for Aly's Quinces... again, yes, I cried.  Today was Aly's actual 15th birthday.  Her Quinceañera will be soon.  Yudith will be 18 next month.  I look at my girls and I can't believe these beautiful young ladies are the same babies I had in my womb.  My heart is full of pride, love and tenderness for them.  But its also breaking a little because my babies are not my babies anymore.  That's another blog post however!

Manny finally made the move to a new job.  Now, instead of driving nearly two hours to get to work, he is 30 minutes away.  What a relief that is to both of us!  He comes home every day at a more decent hour, with a smile on his face, and I get to take a deep breath because I have him home before the bone deep weariness sets in.  I've been praying every day for months that he make it to work in the mornings and home in the evenings safely.  That long drive was wearing him out!  It's nice to have him around earlier, to actually catch up on our days the same day instead of cramming the important things in to one session at the end of the week.  Date nights are on again!  Woo hoo!


Time is progressing.  We are all moving forward.  And we are open and prepared for whatever God sends our way next!  And it's big!  Huge!  Fantastical!  You'll have to stay tuned to see what it is!!!


BTW!!  If you are planning on purchasing Disney's Cinderella for your kiddos, please shop through this Amazon link!  It will help us gather donations for The Big Surprise!!!  Thanks!  I promise it's a worthy cause!   qj7wuxv

No comments:

Post a Comment